среда, 30. новембар 2011.

Initial approach

I'm gonna start this blog, my first one ever, in the same fashion as probably millions before me did: don't know how to start, what to write about, who's gonna read it, etc. So here it is...

What I want to accomplish here is to have a written documentation of my thoughts, fascinations and things seen and heard during this African spell. I'll try to write down as often as I can, but even though it's not gonna be much to write about cos life here is a routine, as I've been told. Hope this is gonna be a good reminder one day and if someone wants to read it, or maybe like or benefit form things read, even better.

As I arrived in Guinea Ecuatorial about a month and a half ago and just starting to write this blog, you see I'm in a bit of a lag. Nevertheless, I wanna start from the very beginning.

I think it took a lot of guts for this thing to happen. A friend of mine who told me about this briefed me shortly about the job, the county, the people and what to expect. The most difficult part was, off course, leaving. Leaving the routine of well known life in your town. It was not the first time for me to leave home to work in another country, but it was the first time that I'm going solo, all alone, into the unknown wilderness of African rainforest. It was hard to leave my friends, family and most of all my girlfriend. She was so supportive of me going (thank you for that) cos she knew it's a good move for the future me, and hopefully us. I had one month to prepare everything for the trip (or is it a trip...more like a move to another place). One might think that one month is enough, but believe me it's not. First few days, or a week or two, you're just thinking it's still early to pack, plan, say goodbye. Then before you know it, you have to leave in 6 days. They moved my ticket to an early date - stole me a week of preparations and farewells. Somehow I managed to pack everything, say bye to everyone and the journey had started.
 
Both flights were beautiful. The former cos I slept the whole duration of it and the latter because of the unbelievable landscapes. And the weather was nice, no clouds, so I could see everything. From Frankfurt, first you fly over the Alps - amazing mountain peaks and greenish/blueish lakes, awe-inspiring.  Then you cross the Mediterranean see, it's OK but not much, just a blue water everywhere you look. After a half hour you see the outskirts of land and it start to get interesting. The coast is green, you see the mountains in the distance  and everything is "alive" after the blue see. Then there's not so many trees around and the Sahara begins. Three hours of flight over it. It's wonderful. I don't know how to explain what I've seen. There are different shades of yellow mottled with some lines. I really have no idea what is it. The color is dark green turning to black and some of them are shining as gold. Incredible scenes, I tell you. Than the lines begin to disappear and your eyes hurt of the brightness of the sun reflecting of the sand. I dozed of for a good two hours and woke up above the rainforest - and it's everywhere. You can almost feel the humidity in the plane ;). We've landed in Abuja, Nigeria to fuel up and offload and the rain had just stopped. Luckily no delay due to the rain of fog so continued to Malabo, GE. After going through customs and immigration I was hit with the air. It was soooooo humid, like wearing extra 10 kg on your back. Had a shower, slept and was ready to go to mainland.

I'm gonna continue writing tomorrow, it's enough for the first time;)   

One more thing, the title. Why in Spanish? Cos it's one of the official languages in Guinea Ecuatorial and I have to use it everyday. The thing is that I've never watched soap operas so didn't have that advantage the average Serbian middle-aged woman has. Lucky for me, Spanish and English share a lot of similar words so I had some previous knowledge. I started learning it less than a month before my arrival here and now I can already communicate with the local (understand them really good and can form simple sentences - good enough for the start). Hopefully I'll reach some intermediate level in a year.

Vale, hasta luego.

Нема коментара:

Постави коментар