четвртак, 1. децембар 2011.

So I was there...

We arrived in Malabo, the capital of Guinea Ecuatorial, the city located on an island in the gulf of Guinea some 40km of the coast of Cameroon - so it's far from mainland EG, around 7pm local time. Slept, woke up at 6am and took a plane to Bata, where the company I started working for has its headquarters. There I saw my friend from Novi Sad, catch up and he showed me the company, introduced me to the people, had a sandwich and I was set to go. 

  
My place of work was, and still is, a camp alongside the highway that the company is building. The camp is in very heart of the rainforest, in the middle of the country, about 180km from Bata, the ocean and the civilization ;). The road is good and you can see a lot of interesting things along the way. That was actually the first time I realized I'm in Africa. This county, as I read, is second most safest in the continent and has a very high GDP per capita. They discovered oil in the gulf so they have a lot of money. Everything is still some way from the European standards but they are developing pretty fast. It's like that in the city but different situation is when you go inland. Houses are small, one story shacks without electricity and running water. And they don't have glass on windows (maybe cos of the heat), only wooden louvers. People are hunters/gatherers - one that don't work. Along the road, one can buy bananas, mangoes, wild hogs, monkeys, crocodiles, etc and it's all food. The soil is red, laterite. I came in the rainy season so in those 2h drive to my camp we had 3-4 showers, a really big ones. And it's like that every day - you know it's gonna rain, the only question is - when?. Good thing about the camp is that is on a higher altitude than Bata, so it's not humid as much. You can feel the air is different than what you used to, but it's very clean as you are in the middle of the jungle. 

Of course it rained when we arrived at the camp...   

Нема коментара:

Постави коментар